Thursday, August 2, 2012

Focaccia with Crescenza Cheese and Basil.

I am a very good cook, I love to cook and I cook every single day... thanks to my italian genes! :)
My hubby keeps telling me I should share more recipes on my blog, so here we go!
Yesterday I made this yummy focaccia with crescenza cheese and fresh basil. It's very easy to prepare, and perfect during summertime. We just love it!


Ingredients:

Bread dough
Crescenza Cheese/Stracchino (please note the final result won't be the same if you use another type of cheese)
Fresh Basil
(Extra Virgin) Olive Oil

Directions:

I won't give instructions on how to make the dough as there are several methods to prepare it and tastes differ. Use your usual bread (pizza) dough recipe. As for me, I use "00" flour, fresh yeast, salt, sugar and warm water. Then I let it rest and rise for about 1 1/2 hours under a wet towel. Self-rising flour or instant yeast will make your dough different.
  1. Shape the dough in a round or rectangular pan, well greased with olive oil.
  2. Sprinkle the top with a little extra oil, then with a generous amount of crescenza cheese. I use about 150g (1/3 pounds) for a medium size round pan, and a few fresh basil leaves rip by hand (not chopped). 
  3. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 210°C (410F), and bake focaccia for about 15-20 minutes (it depends on the oven and on how big and thick your focaccia is).  I usually leave it soft, not crispy. Transfer on a wire rack or wooden chopping board, and decorate with basil leaves, which will add further flavor.
  4. Allow to cool. It's great for picnics also!
Monica x

15 comments:

  1. Mmm-mmm! Sounds yummy! Not sure if we have that cheese here. Your sachets in the previous post are absolutely gorgeous! Happy August! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love to bake and cook also..and these are some of my favorite things to bake..I have never had the cheese you used..I bet I would love it..I get my 00 at Milano's a Montreal landmark in Little Italy:)
    I think everything you do..you do beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, it looks delicious, Monica!

    You are so talented. Is there anything you can't do? I sincerely doubt it, my friend.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sweetie! Wonderful idea your hubby had! This looks so yummy! I make something like it with fresh Mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, and a drizzle olive oil, and a pinch of salt. I love things that are fresh and light!

    Is there another white cheese that is close in flavor that we could get here? I might be able to find this at a specialty store in Orlando, but I'm not sure.

    Thank you for sharing this!!
    Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds yummy. I am not familiar with that cheese. Is it a strong or mild cheese?
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bread + Basil + Cheese = perfect summery taste

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mouth is watering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely recipe. I'm a good cook too and do nearly every day. I'm a veggie too so I love this one and gorgeous pictures too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh meant to comment on your below post. Congrats on Green Craft Magazine! Your work is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me again. :D
    Thanks for the info.
    Congratulations on being published also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...Monica how wonderful, an authentic Italian recipe for super delicious focaccia bread that you have probably been making for many many years and you've shared here for us...not only is everything that you make & create so beautiful to look at but now we get to taste your postings too!
    Thank you my loVely talented friend, I hope you are well & happy...Melxx :)
    I seem to have missed quite a few of your postings Monica for some reason Blogger has not shown them, i'm so sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) Glad you liked it! I'll be sure to post more recipes in the future for you to enjoy!
    FYI, I checked and it looks like "crescenza cheese/stracchino" is produced also for the american market. Just google it to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very tasty!

    xoxox Rozmeen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love connecting with you!