explore my site

Saturday, December 29, 2012

When the Stopwatch is Ticking...

Some of my treasured, family heirlooms.

As many licensing artists and people who work in and for the Gift Industry, I am so crazy busy because the Atlanta Gift Show is just around the corner! Actually, this is one of the two busiest times of the year (together with that before Surtex).

For those who kindly asked, no, I won't be in Atlanta in person this year... but my newest designs will be presented to the market by my fantastic agents. Needless to say, I still have several paintings in need of finishing touches before the big day!

It is so strange, that when the stopwatch is ticking, you kind of "awake" from lethargy and your right brain hemisphere starts working in such a frenzied way! Does this happen to you, too?

I am not telling that I work better under pressure, though, actually being the contrary (I suppose it's because I want to totally enjoy the creative process). I am very disciplined and I never wait until the last minute to do things I have/want to do. I always have my (Christmas, birthday, etc) presents done with plenty of time before the due date. But being highly creative, it's a habit I start many things all at once, and then... well, you do need to finish them sometime, right? :)

I must confess things have been hidden in my drawers for years before I finished them, and so is for paintings. At times I have such a powerful idea that I can't help starting and finishing it in no time; however,  sometimes the ideas remain in form of messy sketches in my notebooks for months and even years, before they eventually find their way to a finished piece. I often find that my work has to "rest" for a while, before I impart it the finishing touches and send it out there for the world to receive.

Nonetheless, a bit of pressure often leads my brain to unexplored territories, and usually gives me "coal", and I instantly become a running, steaming train that no one could stop! Well, the wonders of the creative mind never ceaze to amaze me!

Better to go and paint now. My sweet Kim has gifted me with a huge, strong and steadfast inspiration, I don't want to miss a single bit of it.

Have a nice weekend, everyone, I'll be back on the 31st with my "recap" for 2012.
Monica x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love connecting with you!