explore my site

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Country Flowers of the Month (May).

And May came and went in the blink of an eye!

It brought along wonderful sunny days, blue skies, warmer temperatures, flowers galore, and the occasional grey, cold and damp days were easily forgotten.

Here in the Cotswolds, nature is one month behind this year, due to the unusual, cold temperatures recorded everywhere. Nonetheless, it has been possible to go out for a country walk and come home with beautiful bunches of wildflowers! In May I have bought only a bunch of stocks, and that's it. I have had my home filled with fresh flowers all month long, and they were all picked.
My greatest discovery of this month have been bluebells, I had never seen before. I will dedicate another post to celebrate their beauty.

I had no time to make but very quick bouquets (life's busy here!), and I used the containers I already had on hand. Milk glass bottles, a rusty jug, ceramic jars and mugs. 
I have taken many many pictures of my bouquets (for the vast majority with my iphone) and it was difficult to choose just a few to post on my blog. Should you fancy to see more, I post daily pics here.

Below each picture, you can find both the common name and scientific name of flowers and herbs. I almost always use the scientific name to refer to a plant, so I cannot go wrong, even if in different parts of the world they're called in a different way.

Please indulge the biologist in me (I have a Master degree in Biology, just in case you've missed that!) that urges you to  know how a scientific name is correctly written, as I see mistakes all around the internet. A scientific name is always composed by two parts, genus and species.
The convention states:
1. The genus name is written first.
2. The first letter of the genus name is  a capital letter.
3. The font is always italic (or underlined) or cursive if handwritten.
4. The specific name (species) is written second.
5. The initial letter of the species name is never capitalized.

So for example:
Hedera helix- Hedera is the genus, helix refers to the species. Its common name is ivy.
There are different species of Hedera- Hedera algeriensis, Hedera helix, Hedera canariensis, Hedera azorica, Hedera nepalensis, Hedera colchica, to name but a few.
The genus name can be used on its own, for example Hedera, but the species name must always be paired with a genus name.

Now enjoy some of the country flowers that embellished our home in May!

And so I discovered bluebells... these were all picked at our doorstep!!(Put big smile here).

Just a simple posy tied in string and displayed in a glass bottle... I incorporated feathers for added interest.

Since the half of the month, daffodils were still blooming profusely here in the Cotswolds.

Cow parsley or Queen Anne's lace (Anthriscus sylvestris) is such an eye- catching wildflower, that reaches a considerable height (in our back wood, it reaches my shoulders now!!!). Love its simple, white beauty.

Bluebells or Scilla non-scripta (now with the new classification, Hyacinthoides non- scripta).


Queen Anne's lace with Lunaria annua (or money plant, silver dollars, honesty).

Silene dioica, or red campion.

Matthiola incana, generally called stocks.

Lunaria annua.
Monica x

14 comments:

  1. I love bluebell season. Ours is past already since our spring was early, unlike yours. Bluebells are so graceful, and so wonderfully blue! Enjoy the wildflowers, Monica. Your photos are beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Monica, how beautiful! I love the photo of you holding the bouquet of bluebells with them all growing in the background.
    I just love the mix of bouquets you've put together and I'm impressed with your knowledge of the actual names. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving making little bouquets these days too:)

    Lots of rain here but lush gardens:)

    Looks lovely Monica..and I so appreciate the sound of your posts~
    Happy..Content..peaceful..excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very fortunate to be able to pick so many flowers in your area, Monica. Your bouquets are lovely; I especially like the stocks and bluebells.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love a jug of Cow parsley! so simple and very pretty. Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a fantastic mix,Monica,an artist-biologist with a big heart!
    So your flowers and my ones colour my heart :)
    Good evening
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful !!!!....love Ria...xxx !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard Queen Anne's Lace referred to as Cow's Parsley. Such an interesting contrast in names.

    All so beautiful, Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, beautiful season of flowers, Monica. They are just gorgeous..and your photographs are wonderful. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your May flowers are just beautiful--and you are right, May disappeared so fast! The flowers never last long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely wild flowers. Such a shame you had to buy stocks though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, I love Cow parsley!The photo of the bluebells wood is lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful colors my friend!!! And I love those blue rain boots. Not wellies I'm sure but, much cuter! We too had a cooler than usual spring with nice rains (we were behind rainfall until May) but, the heat has arrived in Texas! In the 100's already. AND HUMID! We built a beautiful Arbor off our bedroom here at the new house. I haven't blogged much due to the move/remodel but, I hope to be back in the saddle now. Missed all my Blogging friends. Sending HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what, May is over, no way.
    Those flowers are perfect, great color. Enjoy Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love connecting with you!