explore my site

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

From my English Country Diary: Fields in Bloom, Part Two.

... And during the month of July, I also discovered that poppies grow so well in England, too!

 

It was the beginning of July when driving along a country road, a lot of red caught my attention... I just had to make a U turn and go back to admire all of this amazing beauty! 

Honestly, when I dreamt of living in the English countryside one day, I had no idea it was this beautiful and so exciting! I make new discoveries nearly every day...



Millions of flowers graced the fields... annoying the farmers, as I've been told, because they "damage" the harvest.


But look at their gorgeousness... it lasts less than a fortnight, and then they fade.
Especially with the hot weather we've had this past July.





I had to come back to the field to properly photograph the flowers. Even if at 9 am, I had to rush because I felt it was becoming too hot for me, even with my big, dark sunglasses and my wide- brimmed, white cotton hat. We've really had a wonderful "real" summer this year!



... So summer-y!!



In July, I also discovered there are lots of white fields full of wild daisies! My heart skips a beat every time I see them. From a distance, you just see white... 




Since five months ago or so when I moved to England, I've seen gorgeous colors in Nature!  In March, everything was white (due to the unusual cold and long Winter this year), then in Spring, the main color was yellow (of the thousands of daffodils everywhere), then blue in May with bluebells, then again white with wild daisies, red with poppies and all shades of purple with lavender. Now I cannot wait to see which colors Autumn is bringing along! Being an artist, you bet I'm excited!
Monica x

18 comments:

  1. Now a poppy field... that is a field I could get into!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With no headaches!! Yay!!!! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Monica.. when we went to Casteluccio Italy(sp?).. I was told there were fields of poppies.. we arrived in Sept..so too late..this is what I imagined they would look like..
    A flower can make my heart skip a beat..fields?..:)

    In back of our home there is a field of Goldenrod and black eyed Susans..etc..quite pretty too but nothing like poppies or lavender..
    Should not compare I know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the Italian poppy fields from my childhood, when I used to spend the summer holidays with my Grandparents. Yes, they are amazing! Unfortunately, the flowers are extremely delicate. They have a short life in vase, and in any case, also in their natural environment, they last just a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  3. Hi Monica,

    Thank you for your lovely comment- I tried to email you but it came back...

    We are staying at a B & B called Chure House in Stowe-on-the-Wold, arriving by train to Moreton-in-Marsh from London. We are very excited to see the Cotswolds, after glimpses of it in Victoria magazine over the years, and also lately, through your blog - such a charming place.
    From the Cotswolds we go up to Yorkshire and then in to Scotland, finally working our way down to the south coast of England by the beginning of October... The last few days of our trip, I think the 12 - 16th of October, we are planning to be in Oxford or somewhere near there - happy to go where the train takes us - it all sounds so magical.
    Thanks for stopping by,
    jillayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica,I am so glad you popped over for a visit. I have been busy so not commenting as much as I would like. Your English countryside is so beautiful, I envy you the beauty you see everyday. I believe in a past life I lived in England and walked on the windswept moors, well amybe that is a dream of mine. It is a beautiful country, well I imagine Italy is too.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that is romantic for sure! Just like Keira Knightley :)

      Delete
  5. Great,sweet English Countryside !
    Thank you,Monica and ... I'm waiting for your pleasant Autumn surprises !
    Un abbraccio
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franca, I'm already soo thrilled! Autumn is here, stay tuned for one of my next posts and you'll see by yourself!
      Hugs to you xo

      Delete
  6. happy feast day of st. monica!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're too cute for words, Michelle! You made me smile BIG!
    Thank you :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful it makes me think of the Wizard of Oz movie. I can't wait to see what you discover during the Autumn season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh Jenni, I'm excited, already!!!

      Delete
  9. Monica, you are so generous to share all the beauty surrounding you. You always make me feel as if I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beautiful to share our blessings, right? And we can travel directly from the chair where we sit in front of the computer! :)
      xo

      Delete
  10. I love this post. I remember poppies in wheat fields and how wonderfully beautiful it was. Such great pictures. Following you..........
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely! I remember them from when I was a child :)
      Thanks for following along!!!
      xo

      Delete

Thank you! I love connecting with you!