Friday, September 6, 2013

Country Flowers of the Month (August).

Since after the half of the month of August I honestly didn't walk too much, because of the fall in late July and the moves which left me very tired.
So didn't have the opportunity to pick flowers, and just bought a few bunches of sunflowers, stocks and dahlias.

I put them in a vintage style canister, part of a set I have found at bargain price scoring charity shops!

When I have started to feel like myself once again, and started to stroll around and walk more, I had the pleasure of discovering several spots where spontaneous sweet peas grow...


I serendipitously found this old ginger beer bottle at a charity shop (they're usually quite expensive!), and find that it is the perfect match with many flowers, among which, sweet peas.

In an old ginger beer bottle.

I also had the thrill of discovering Blue Globe Thistle (Echinops bannaticus), we call "Blue Baubles" in Italy. In England though, these are much bigger than in Italy!


Found lots of edible and wild apples and several other herbs, among which thornapple, blackberries, acorns, red dock (Rumex acetosella).



Enamel pitchers are perfect for country flowers! Of course, rust is very welcome :)


FYI: the daunting price tag of an old ginger beer bottle!

Buddleja davidii is still blossoming, found several bushes of the purple variety nearby. Lots of berries of all kind, these stunning blue ones are called Blackthorn or Sloe (Prunus spinosa). The gorgeous clematis (Clematis jackmanii) now in full bloom comes from my friend Jane's garden.


This bountiful bouquet contains Elderberry berries (Sambucus sp.), wild apples, acorns and oak leaves, blackthorn and thornapple berries (Crataegus sp.).


Monica x

21 comments:

  1. Nydelige blomsterbilder.
    Klem Mette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all so wonderful. I just love how you put these bouquets together Monica.
    Hope you have a great weekend
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni, I love free, casual arrangements! They are just so perfect for the countryside!
      xo

      Delete
  3. Lovely flowers !!!!...lovely weekend.......love Ria...x!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Ria, have a nice weekend too!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful flowers! Your photography skills are wonderful! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duana, that's so kind of you! Several of those shots are taken with my Iphone, but if you pay attention to the right light, they come out quite good!

      Delete
  5. I love growing Echinops if not for the sheer contradiction in looks compared to my gardens:) And I love how the bees are so attracted to them.
    I hope you feel better every day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they stunning? I remember when I first saw them in Italy (where they're teeny tiny compared to these!:)). I was so drawn to them because they're blue, even if at the time I had no idea that I loved BLUE! So funny, isn't it?
      Thanks for your kindness, yes I'm feeling much better and in the blink of an eye I'll finally be settled in our new home, so I can rest.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful bouquets! I hope you'll soon be settled in your own home. It's so hard to be in limbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has been hard, but I have discovered and experimented so many new, beautiful things, that I considered it as a blessing in the end!

      Delete
  7. Oh I am loving your beautiful Fall bouquets Monica! They are so pretty.
    I do hope you get to feeling good again and get some much needed rest my dear.
    Hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear June, now that I'm in our new home I can't wait to start creating and decorating! It's the best thing to relax me :)

      Delete
  8. Such wonderful colour in your bouquets. I can't believe how much the ginger bottles cost, we threw a load away quite a few years back. What a silly, silly thing to do. Have a fantastic week. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those thistles are gorgeous - what a colour! And all that lovely spikiness...
    I hope you are on the mend Monica; a fall is a terrible thing and not to be able to walk and enjoy all those things that make where you are special can't be easy.
    I was lucky enough to find a stone ginger beer bottle several years ago at a very good price - I had never heard of them before but loved the colours and the sturdiness of it - I especially love it with daisies in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! With white daisies... amazing!! Now I have put feathers in it- they complement the color and look gorgeous!

      Delete
  10. Wild bouquets and the joy of purple and lilac...lovely September!
    Monica, do you like my new idea (my little photo)?
    A big hug
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean your new avatar? It's small to appreciate, but looks very pretty! :)

      Delete
  11. Thinking of you and visiting you always makes me happy. I love seeing beauty through your eyes.♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love connecting with you!