explore my site

Sunday, September 15, 2013

From my English Country Diary: End of Summer.

One day, after mid August, you realize out of the blue that the colors are different... The air is crisp, and its smell is richer. The sky is not actually different than before, but you see it so. Everything looks incredibly sharp, even the sun shines in another way.

I always feel like the new year starts in September instead of January.


Everywhere you may turn your eyes to,  you can spot thistles (fluffy and white, thorny and purple, or blue and round), pink and rusty red tall spikes and sculptoreal dried herbs, fluttering in the breeze.





The mellow, golden fields become bare and ochre and sienna and brown by the day, while in the distance you can hear the tractors at work, until night and dark. Sometimes you watch out of the window and you see a light in the middle of the fields, right where the sound of the engine comes from.






The bushes and shrubs and trees are filled with lots of shiny  and dusty berries and fruits, of the most wonderful colors- from green, to orange, to blue, to black.







The migratory birds start gathering in V formations... and it's not rare that while walking among the fileds you meet adorable baby pheasants funnily running away followed by an attentive mother.


Strolling around the villages, you start seeing baskets or little tables lovingly arranged by the doors, full of cheery sachets and jars filled with the bounty of Summer. 





There are just a few tourists left around- the quiet has definitely returned among the old, quaint cottages, public footpaths and narrow country roads.








Monica x

14 comments:

  1. That basket is really a Royal basket!!
    Happy Sunday to you,Monica...here is a rainy Sunday
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franca,
      I spotted it from a distance! I have the radar for such things! Hehehe

      Delete
  2. tis indeed very beautiful! enjoy, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heather, what a glorious Country! :)
      xo

      Delete
  3. Monica, So glad I popped by! Such a peaceful place...connected to nature and dreams...I will certainly be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed your visit! :)

      Delete
  4. It all looks so incredibly peaceful and how wonderful to see those cottages all the time.
    You take such wonderful photos of it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed peaceful, Jenni. I think it's the first time ever that I find in a single place what I do need (silence and quiet and beauty around me!). Love living here and capturing all of this with my camera to share with you all :)

      Delete
  5. Jillayne, have you received my email? Contact me via my contact form on my website, link in the left sidebar!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful countryside pictures. They would go well on my facebook page Bluebell woods. It's looking like Autumn now and I love seeing the hips and haws in the hedgerows. Reminds me of childhood.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots Monica...September is my favorite month of the year, wish the Year was Made of only September

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful photos ,looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beauty and peace take my breath away. Thank you for always sharing, sweet Monica.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love connecting with you!