Friday, March 7, 2014

My Secret Garden.




I have a secret garden... nothing but a pot garden at the rear of the house hidden by the oil tank fence and facing the wood, where I spend time dreaming, meditating and healing, wearing a handmade gardening apron, with dirty hands and a big smile painted on my face.

I also have a secret garden in my imagination, but as for now, it just dwells there, and on the pages of a visual journal, for my eyes only.

One of the things I have discovered over the years being the most nourishing for me, is to be surrounded by nature and silence, and grow my own flowers and herbs (vegetables and fruits when space allows), for how humble and small my garden may be. Being our home rented, I have no permission to plant anything in the soil or keep my pots in visible position, but I am deeply grateful for having even just a teeny tiny space for my own flowers where no one but pheasants, squirrels and birds, maybe the fox at times, passes by and sees them.
I have grown magnificent roses, dahlias, daffodils, morning glory, sweet peas, unbelievably huge hydrangeas, herbs of all kind, even plums and tomatoes on a balcony when I lived in the city! I used to have my home filled with posies of fresh flowers always, I've always found it such a natural thing to do, not that I've learnt somewhere, simply followed my instinct (most of the times in the past, without being aware of doing so). That is part of the process to nurture a highly sensitive and deeply sensible soul, just like eating and breathing for my well- being.

In my secret garden I cultivate roses, sweet peas, pansies, nasturtium, zinnias, parsley, rosemary, chicory, sage and thyme. Along with Joy, Hope, Beauty, Truth, Love, Grace, Patience, Kindness, Understanding, Faith, Positive Thinking and No- Doubt.

And as in every garden, even the most beautiful and tidy ones, there may be a few weeds trying to grow along with your flowers, that will eventually suffocate them. So what's the wise gardener to do? Pull them out immediately. Give nourishment and space to the flowers only.

Monica xo

12 comments:

Deb said...

such a lovely gardening post!
I am looking forward to starting the sweet pea seeds you sent me ~ and so fittingly named "Muse" ♥ yours are coming along beautifully. love that you write in your gardening journal in Italian ~ it looks so charming.
have a wonderful weekend xo

Tamara said...

Hi Monica,
I always look forward to your posts. Your words and photos are filled with serenity and truth. I have learned such patience from gardening. I can remember years ago when I didn't want to plant perenniels because I didn't want to wait for them to bloom. Now when they come up in the spring, it's like welcoming old friends.
I love what you said about cultivating. And for my life, I would add wisdom and truth.
Blessings,
Tamara

La Table De Nana said...

Your potted garden will be a delight I am most certain!
I am looking through seed catalogues..it's a touch early here yet..but I am anticipating watching things grow too..
I love the first signs of growth..until the bittersweet last ones..
Enjoy Spring in your pretty place Monica~

Alice Reuther said...

It's amazing what one can do with such restrictions and limited space!

When there is a will, there is a way!

You draw a huge smile on my face. I can't wait to start my garden. Winter seems to be quite comfortable, hopefuly Ms. Spring will make her way in soon!

xoxo

Prince Snow Farm said...

I am so excited about your secret garden! It is truly spiritual and rewarding to observe and interact with nature. Cannot wait to see the progress!

Rosabears said...

Nature and silence........it's my thing also.
It makes me beïng more creative.
Have a beautiful weekend.
Marja

Susan Hemann said...

I would love to see your secret garden. I too am limited by space. I live in a condo, but am able to garden around my porch and the side of my condo. I have made a secret haven for myself, as I am in constant need of birds and nature.

Jenni said...

I love the sound of your secret garden, I have a patio with pots and its fun to see what you can grow in pots to experiment and move things around. Right now I'm waiting for the tulips to come up, they are just barely showing. So glad that spring is beginning to arrive :)

Aga Grabowska said...

There is nothing impossible for someone who really wants! I can imagine how beautifull your balcony was. I keep telling my mum to have few plants there, but I guess I have to wait for her to see it first.

poliana said...

Какой чудный садовый фартук! Желаю вам, чтоб ваш реальный сад был так же прекрасен как и выдуманный! Фотографии красивые!

Gretchen Portwood said...

Just the phrase "secret garden" makes me smile. As Ausrey Hepburn said, "to plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow." I can't wait to see your grow.

domenica.60 said...

" Una singola rosa può essere il mio giardino" Leo Buscaglia
" A single rose may be my garden" Leo Buscaglia (se non ho tradotto correttamente , sorry!)
My garden is my life , Monica and ... your "secret garden" is a wonderful world.
A big hug,
Franca